Word of Moth’s ‘spontaneous group explorations and tightly-scored, big-booted riffs’ were praised by Daniel Spicer in the Wire magazine after their appearance at LUME Festival in Summer 2016. The band is a collaborative quartet formed by saxophonists Cath Roberts (Sloth Racket) and Dee Byrne (Entropi) the previous year, to explore the intersection of freedom and structure. The baritone and alto saxes are joined by Seth Bennett on bass and Johnny Hunter on drums, creating a group sound with improvisation at its heart that isn’t afraid to dig into some heavy grooves too. They have appeared at Lancaster Jazz Festival and Jazzwerkstatt festival in Bern, Switzerland, and are currently working on their debut album.
Dee Bryne, alto sax / Cath Roberts, baritone sax / Seth Bennett, bass / Johnny Hunter, drums
venue access information
THE HALL, 10 CHINA STREET, LANCASTER, LA1 1EX
- Two disabled parking bays are located on Church Street, approximately 50 metres past the building entrance and on the right.
- There is a single step into the venue at the main entrance that does not have a handrail. Step free access is available via the roastery entrance between The Hall and J. Atkinson & co Tea & Coffee Merchants. Front of House volunteers will be at the main entrance to assist.
- The entire venue is wooden floored and has no carpet.
- All events at the venue are unreserved seating and standing. However, wheelchair seating space can be reserved for events if desired, simply mention that it is required when booking your ticket. You can also contact Lancaster Jazz Festival in advance of an event to request this by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the event of fire or other incident, two exits have step free exits. The other two feature a single step down to exit. Venue staff will be on hand to assist in the event of an evacuation.
- Unisex toilets with level access are available.
- Essential companions', personal assistants' support workers' and carers' of people with disabilities get in free to all ticketed events (please mention this when you book your tickets). Assistance, hearing and guide dogs are welcome and fresh drinking water is always available for them on request.
- People with disabilities are eligible for concessionary tickets and can access the venue before doors open.
Tickets on sale from 3 June
Produced by Lancaster Jazz Festival in partnership with Atkinsons